June 19, 2021, 07:09:26 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2021, June 7 ~ ~The Capt is Back in Business, and Business is Goooood ! DC  (Read 1212 times)
CaptWilliecrab
Lifetime Member

A great way to live a day!

Williecrab S Wilson Capt Williecrab

Ignore
« on: June 08, 2021, 11:49:45 AM »

2021, June 7         ~ ~The Capt is Back in Business, and Business is Goooood !  ~~

It has been 10 months since the Capt has had an adventure on his creek ship.  He has been recovering from major surgery since August 10, 2020.  The 6.5 hour surgery at Jefferson Hospital was a Nissen Fundoplication taken down with a Toupet Fundoplication.  Prayers have been answered and he has healed well and ready for creek action again.

The Capt had been getting his ship ready for several weeks.  He scrubbed that ship down bow to stern and had it gleaming and shiny.  The main deck and bow deck were spotless.  The ship was beautiful.   But then the Capt realized his big mistake.  It is almost a disgrace to have a creek ship that is this clean.  It is not natural.  
There are top-notch Crickers out there whose ships are only cleaned if there is a thunderstorm.  
He aimed to fix this problem.  He began to think about things he could do to get things proper and in order.  First he could cut up some bait, maybe some blood worms and get some blood on the deck.  Then he could take a walk in a muddy creek at low tide, then climb aboard and leave muddy shoe prints on the deck.   He could take his traps and bait them with chicken necks and fish bodies.  

Sometimes little pieces of meat would fall to the deck and then harden in the hot sun.  When he pulled in traps with gobs of wet mud on them with grass and crabs, he could dump his crabs on the deck with some of the mud and grass.  Then of course with greenheads and other bugs, he would be killing them like crazy when they bit him. With some blood and mud and grass and hardened pieces of chicken for fish meat and bug bodies all over the ship, he knew things would be back in order.  
Now for the outside of the shiny white ship,  it could be rammed into a mud bank at low tide.  This leaves nice mud tracks.  This is best done at low tide.  Yes, he had it all figured out.  

“If the highest aim of a captain were to preserve his ship, he would keep it in port forever” …St. Thomas Aquinas

10:00am:  It was very hot and humid.  The Capt loaded up the CES Madison Rose creek ship with 2 fishing poles, a minnow net and crab net, a cooler with ice for crabs and fish, a cooler with ice for bait, a bag of frozen perch bodies and a bag of frozen chicken necks, 10 topless traps, bug spray, and plenty of water to drink.  He hooked the ship up to Ole Blue and headed for the creeks.  Ebb tide would be at 2:30pm.  The Capt was looking forward to a day of exploring, catching, and good conversation as he was going solo today.

12:45pm:  The Capt arrived at the launch and was greeted by lots of hungry insects.  There were a few greenheads, but the big biters were these flies.  There were also some insects he didn’t recognize, he was instantly attacked when he got out of the truck.  
The ship sat in the water at the dock of the Owls Nest.  The Capt scooped up some grass shrimp and climbed aboard.  The tide was already very low as he fired up the Tohatsu power plant and headed toward the bay.  He popped a couple of creek wheelies then brought that ship up on plane and began to glide through the maze.  It felt so good to enjoy creek speed again.  The ship seemed faster than ever as brought her up to 6000 rpms which is top creek warp speed for him.  

The Capt arrived at his top secret location.  Still to this day he has never seen another crabber in this part of the maze which is not easy to get to.  The ebb tide was lower than normal.  The Capt began to do some fishing.  He also dropped over 2 traps with perch bodies.  Some fish were jumping in the area, but the Capt failed to get a single bite.  He checked his traps, and there was the first crab of the year.  He was a nice one with a brown belly.

Now the Capt tried another fishing spot, and again no bites, but he caught an ever bigger crab.   The ebbed tide was now dead low here at about 2:20pm.  The Capt headed for a ditch.  He dropped anchor and began to walk the ditch with a crab net.  It was wall to wall horse shoe crabs.  The Capt walked and explored.  There were no crabs in this ditch except one tiny on.  
In this area along the bay, the bugs began to go away.  The wind kicked up coming in from the bay and the temp dropped.  The Capt began to deploy traps in only 2.5’ of water.  The tide was so low and with the wind blowing hard the Capt began to engage in fierce creek battle.  He knew nice crabs should show up when the tide began to flood and increase the water depth to 3 to 4 feet.  

The Capt was in one of his favorite spots, but there were no crabs there.  The wind blew him right into the mud bank as he pulled traps.  He was getting stuck often, and at one point got a trap line caught in the prop.  At one point he was in deep mud and the motor sucked mud into it and began pouring out mud from the cool system.  It was a mess, but just part of the battle.  

The Capt had to get out and clean the system.  He got clean water pumping again and patiently waited for the flood tide to move in.  He then brought in all his traps and stopped crabbing for bit.  He took a cruise back to the bay.
The bay now was pretty rough and the Capt enjoyed a little cruise in the waves.  Soon it was time to go crabbing again.  He only had 2 crabs in the holding tanks.
The Capt now deployed his 10 traps in another creek.  He added fresh bait and noted the water was about 3’ deep and the flood tide was moving in fast.  It was now about

4:00pm.  The Capt began to work his traps.  He felt a little rusty and it took some practice,  but soon he could gauge the wind and tide directions to move in on a trap float, pull it up, and drop it again before the wind blew him into the meadow mud bank.  The bay breeze would get stronger as the day moved on.  The Capt noted he was working in whitecap creek waves up to 6 inches high.

The Capt now began to catch some very nice fat crabs.  They were few and far between, but when they came in, they came in big.  For every 10 trap pull ins, there were only 1 to 3 keepers caught.  One big problem was horseshoe crabs.  They were everywhere.  Many times there were 3 horseshoe crabs in a trap.  The Capt had to check carefully, because several times there was a big jimmy in the trap with the horseshoes.

It was getting late, but the Capt was determined to stay with in until he hit the 30 crab mark.  He was catching nice crabs in 3 to 4’ of water.  The moment came when the Capt had enough.  In the tanks were 27 nice jimmy crabs.  The Capt earlier had thrown back a few small keepers and he reasoned he had hit the 30 mark, but he was taking home 27.  The traps were brought in a stacked and it was time for the cruise to the dock.  The Capt was grateful to be able to enjoy the creeks.  It was a nice ride back in a very hard flooding current.

At the Owls Nest, the Capt waited as another boat was loading up to leave.  They loaded the boat and before driving forward, one of the men asked the Capt if he could help him.  The Capt was happy about that. It is not easy in this current to get alongside the dock when you are alone. The Capt tossed him a rope the man secured the ship to the dock.  It was a great blessing!  The Capt was tired.
In talking with the man, the Capt found out he is Mike, the owner of the Red Eyed Crab located in Dividing Creek.  Mike said soon they will have crab rental boats.  He also has some great ideas for renting boats the Capt had never heard of.  The Capt wished him well in that business, and also the Capt will soon go there with his bride and check out food. He has heard a lot of good things about that place.  One thing Mike said was the boats he will rent out are 16’ Sundance skiffs.  That is what the CES Madison Rose is!   These are very nice stable boats.

The Capt arrived back at home base as it was getting dark.  He flushed out the engine with fresh water and hosed down the trailer, fishing poles and traps.  He was tired and decided to keep the crabs alive in the holding tank with ice until the morning.  He would then clean them and cook them up.

The creek ship was filthy.  There was blood and bait parts, mud and grass all over the decks and gunwales.  There was also mud all over the outside. The Capt hopes we might get a thunderstorm during the night.  The creek ship looked like it should, like it had been in creek battle!

It was a great way to live a day!

A Happy and Grateful Capt Williecrab, creek explorer in the 21’rst century.

Job 12:7-10   “But ask the beasts, and they will teach you;   the birds of the heavens, and they will tell you; or the bushes of the earth, and they will teach you; and the fish of the sea will declare to you.
Who among all these does not know that the hand of the Lord has done this? In His hand is the life of every living thing and the breath of all mankind.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3633530343408258/

https://www.facebook.com/The-Red-eyed-crab-336239393457418/
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 09:02:16 PM by CaptWilliecrab » Logged
CaptWilliecrab
Lifetime Member

A great way to live a day!

Williecrab S Wilson Capt Williecrab

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 11:51:11 AM »

pics
steelydn

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 12:54:12 PM »

Welcome back Captain. Things are as they should be.
blueclawfever
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 01:20:28 PM »

Everybody listen to me
And return me my creek ship
I'm your captain, Captain WilliieCrab
Though I was feeling mighty sick
I've been lost now for months uncounted
And it's months since I've seen Dividing "Crick"
Can you hear me? Can you hear me?
Or am I all alone?
If you return me to the Owl's Nest
I will kiss you Mother Earth
Take me back now, take me back now
To the Port Elizabeth of my birth

Welcome back, Capt!  The King of the Creeks.  Sorely missed! 

I have a fever....
And the prescription....
Is more crabbing !!
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2021, 01:26:11 PM »

another great storie and catch

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab

GJF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2021, 02:09:50 PM »

Good job to hang in there with a slow start.  Nice catch captain!  🦀
jmjral

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2021, 03:44:08 PM »

First creek on the right, and straight on 'til morning.

Glad to hear that to are back in the game.
startmark

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2021, 06:40:55 PM »

Good to hear you are back on the water Captain.
luke at uscoach
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2021, 06:42:48 PM »

Happy to hear you healed well.  As always, enjoy your posts.
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2021, 07:16:05 PM »

Does anyone have the "Cliff's Notes" for this? Would love to see them.

U / W HUNTER

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2021, 11:27:40 PM »

Just sit back & enjoy the read, its always enlightening & well worth the few minutes
U / W HUNTER

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2021, 11:28:26 PM »

Great Job as always Capt
"A great way to live a day"
king crab 48
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2021, 06:17:46 AM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Great to see you back and well Cool  Always a great read and experience with your episodes Smiley  KEEP ON CRABBIN  Grin Grin Grin Grin
DCAP1

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2021, 10:09:56 AM »

Great to see your back Captain!
fish machine

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2021, 10:43:40 AM »

Great job CaptWilliecrab , not bad for first trip. I was there Saturday and only had 8 crabs and the perch also had lock jaw. Good to see you out crabbing again. I also heard the redeyed crab has good food, think I will try it out this weekend. Good job see you on the creek.

BURGERBROWNIES

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2021, 07:11:08 PM »

Thank You, always enjoy reading your stories. Although I don't know you I'm glad you are in Better Health!
God Bless
coins1101
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2021, 03:14:00 PM »

Good catch and pictures. These horse shoe crabs were all over the place last year and this year again. Difficult to catch blue claws on handlines with them around.
CrabbyJack

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2021, 05:13:42 PM »

Another best seller story by the Captain.
Rcr29kh1

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2021, 11:59:33 AM »

Try reading it in Morgan Freeman's voice.  It's soothing
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2021, 05:46:06 PM »

Try reading it in Morgan Freeman's voice.  It's soothing

I'm sure it is. And after the second hour, you probably just feel like you're floating.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home