August 05, 2021, 11:50:57 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lower Potomac Crab Pots  (Read 714 times)
xFishdogx

Ignore
« on: June 09, 2021, 08:32:49 AM »

Haven't gotten out to do the topless lately but figured I would post a report how my 10 crab pots have been doing.  Tossed them in Friday(June 4th) and have worked them every other day.  First time I pulled them, I got a total of 19 mixed crabs.  Second time, 15 mixed crabs.  Using menhaden as bait where most commercial guys are still using clams.  Still pretty slow my way but its picking up every week.  Hope to get out with the topless traps here soon.  Everyone seeing the same thing?
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2021, 10:27:11 AM »

I pulled my pots last week. Just was worth the gas.  Gonna wait a few more weeks and try again.  Undecided

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
xFishdogx

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 09:05:37 AM »

jack,  I have 5 pots in VA water and they caught more than the potomac pots.  For once, VA has more crabs!
xFishdogx

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 11:47:45 AM »

Just an update.   Pulled the same 10 pots yesterday after a 3 day soak.   35 mixed crabs plus two softies for lunch.   Enjoyed the harvest with friends next to the water with jalapeño poppers and stuffed green peppers.   Delicious!  Still haven’t done my topless but plan to get out when the crabs are in full swing here.   
PDH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2021, 03:11:22 PM »

Hard to beat a soft-shell sandwich.  Good job fish dog.

xFishdogx

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 08:26:38 AM »

Just an update.  Been pulling the pots but been forgetting to post a report.  Pulled them Friday after a two day soak and caught 42 which all were nice size males.  Biggest was 7".  Took 5 out of the water to power wash since they were really starting to get nasty and heavy.  Pulled the other 5 yesterday and every single crab in the pots was dead.  I am thinking a red tide came through at some point.  Has anyone ever had that happen to them?  It was definitely a first for me.  Power washed all the pots yesterday too so they will be ready to put out this coming weekend.  Have definitely noticed the crabs this year so far have been good sizes compared to last year. 
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2021, 09:22:11 AM »

All the guys here are running to the western shore to lay pots.  James river is getting a lot of pressure.  A sudden rapid change in temp. or salinity is most likely the killer.  Lot of rain is usually the cause. Crabs in the pots are stuck while the other leave the area.  I just came in from laying pots in the PS. We'll see what happens Wednesday.  Cool

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
xFishdogx

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2021, 01:40:47 PM »

Interesting.  It did rain pretty good Saturday so your note of it being rain is probably the reason.  Man if you had 100 pots in the water and each one had dead crabs from to much rain, that would stink as a crabber.  A lot of wasted time and bait.  Yet I guess that's just part of the job and uncontrollable factors. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home