October 15, 2021, 11:39:53 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kayak Trotline Setup  (Read 784 times)
arti0972
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« on: June 14, 2021, 12:26:40 PM »

After 7 years of running traps and rings from my Jackson kayak , I just purchased a new Hobie Outback.  I have full intentions to use a trotline and rings with it (if space allows). I am familiar with the basic setup of a trotline, but have some questions for all on here who do use them from their pedal drive kayaks.  First of all, how far out and how high up do you all have your propsticks? Next, How much anchor weight is sufficient enough to hold the line taught? I have two rotors from a brake job on my truck, but I'm thinking, if I can go smaller , it would be better for conserving space behind me. How long of an anchor line is sufficient? 25, 50 ft? Next question is, how much length of chain would be needed? And how far from the first and last snood do you have them?  And finally....how long of a trotline are you able to successfully use? I am thinking of making a 300 ft line, but if I could use , maybe a 600 ft, I'd do that too. Or maybe 2 300 footers if space allows. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
arti0972
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 07:27:58 PM »

My new crabbing/fishing vessel
shedking
Lifetime Member

Choot em

Al Sheely

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 10:28:59 AM »

As far as anchors I think the rotors will be overkill on a shorter line like that. I know Kerry use to use two soup cans filled with melted lead for his 600 loctite line. Chain I put about 10 from last snood and control lines depend on how deep you are crabbing. 3-4 times the depth your in. A 12 piece of chain is sufficient. Hope  that helps

Each one of us here today will at one time in our lives look upon a loved one who is in need and ask the same question: We are willing to help, Lord, but what, if anything, is needed? For it is true we can seldom help those closest to us. Either we don't know what part of ourselves to give or, more often than not, the part we have to give is not wanted. And so it is those we live with and should know who elude us. But we can still love them - we can love completely without complete understanding.
shedking
Lifetime Member

Choot em

Al Sheely

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 10:29:25 AM »

Btw great looking rig

Each one of us here today will at one time in our lives look upon a loved one who is in need and ask the same question: We are willing to help, Lord, but what, if anything, is needed? For it is true we can seldom help those closest to us. Either we don't know what part of ourselves to give or, more often than not, the part we have to give is not wanted. And so it is those we live with and should know who elude us. But we can still love them - we can love completely without complete understanding.
arti0972
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 11:00:37 AM »

Thanks for the input Al. Much appreciated.

indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2021, 11:56:02 AM »

I dont have a peddle drive and I know a few use a peddle drive with a trotline. Tommy tech has a few youTubes on his set up. Moc does a lot of crabbing with a trotline off his kayak as well. There is a learning curve and it will take some time to get used too. One of the hardest thing is that when you scoop the crabs it swings the front of your kayak over your line. I usually back the kayak up to straighten it out so I dont scare the other crabs on the line. I use 20lbs of weight on each end but run around 1000ft of trotline. 50ft I believe on each end for the weight to chain. I think have around a foot of chain on each end. My prop stick is around 1ft off the water but sinks closer to the water with the weight of the line on it. Prop stick is right behind me and when you set the line try and keep anything out of the way that the line might get caught on when setting. I also like to keep a hand on the line and pull on it to try and keep it tight. It can be hard to tighten up the line on a kayak. I hope this helps a little.

Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!
arti0972
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2021, 12:22:20 PM »

Thanks Indoe.
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2021, 08:27:07 AM »

I would stick with one line instead of two. Otherwise, you would need two complete setups. Two sets of buoys, anchors, lead lines, and buckets of line. With limited space on a kayak, that may not be the best way to utilize it.
moc
Lifetime Member

Machburner

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2021, 11:17:59 AM »

You are going to love your new boat.  I have a youtube video  here on my kayak crabbing setup:

Using clam bags

Crabbing from a Hobie Revo

MOC a.k.a. "Machburner"
moc
Lifetime Member

Machburner

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2021, 11:24:47 AM »

For weights I use a flat rectangular weight that use to be sold at Anglers sport center.  They no longer carry them.  I have had friends that liked them so much that they were able to make there own.  The flat anchors store easier on a kayak and they dig into the ground at only 10 pounds each.  My prop stick is only a few inches above the water line where they water line is.  My chains are about 18 inches to 24 inches in length.  I do not know their weight, but they are the middle size ones at Home Depot.  Two heavy a chain will cause you issues in peddling past the chains when running down the line.

MOC a.k.a. "Machburner"

JOHN M.O.T.

He who loves the ocean is my brother

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2021, 04:22:08 PM »

I've been thinking about giving it a try as well. I have a Revo 13. In New Jersey you can only run a 150' line with 25 baits.
Thanks for posting videos.
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2021, 06:25:35 PM »

I've been thinking about giving it a try as well. I have a Revo 13. In New Jersey you can only run a 150' line with 25 baits.
Thanks for posting videos.

John if you are only allowed 25 baits then you might be better off with nets. You can spead them out more and cover more ground.

Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!
Skalizar

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2021, 03:53:32 PM »

You can actually run 2 150' lines, but consensus seems to be you can't connect them, ie, trying to show that the lines are in 2 pieces and just happen to be connected to each other.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home