April 10, 2021, 08:01:40 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VMRC Crab Management Advisory Committee meeting 7/10/06  (Read 4109 times)
Tom Powers

Ignore
« on: July 09, 2006, 10:13:53 PM »

Not on the agenda but I would not be surprised if we also discuss changes to the first few months of the season in order to avoid the glut of recent years.  One option that was discussed in the hallway (and there may have been a petition) was to reduce the number of bu. per vessel and open the season earlier than April 1 so as to ease into production.

Public comment is accepted on agenda (or other if you ask staff before the meeting starts) items. 

Tom

VIRGINIA MARINE RESOURCES COMMISSION
CRAB MANAGEMENT ADVISORY COMMITTEE
2600 WASHINGTON AVENUE, NEWPORT NEWS, VA
VMRC CONFERENCE ROOM, 4TH FLOOR

JULY 10, 2006 - *6:00 PM

REVISED AGENDA
I. Introductions; Announcements

II. Approval of minutes from the December 12, 2005 meeting

III. Old Business

IV. New Business

a. Update: Crab Stock Assessment

b. Review of the Dark Sponge Crab Prohibition Regulation

c. A. C. Carpenter: Discussion of Size Limit Changes for the Potomac River Tributaries

V. Next Meeting Date

VI. Adjournment
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006, 10:20:47 PM »

No No No, Y'all want to wait till June 1st to open,  Wink Grin Grin, just kidding....the Apr 1st opener killed me this yr, I had just found them, and was catching 15 to 20 bushels of jimmy's a day and we got shut down for 3 weeks,  Cry Cry

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Sunrise in Bath, NC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 09:28:06 AM »

Sounds like Va has their own set of stupid policy makers. Glut of crabs? It's not the crabbers fault. The gult is created by crabs being caught all winter long from SC/GA/FL and God Bless them guys from MS/LA who are glad to get rid of them after Katrina. The other problem comes from lack of picking houses or picking houses not ready for the season. That is all picking houses up/down the coast. If regulators/policy makers REALLY want to make a difference heres my suggestion. Get petitions protesters whatever it takes and get the importation of forgein crab/crabmeat halted. Maybe for good or with a reduction or even impose higher taxes for the suppliers. We as from consumer,crabber,picking house and vendors really need to step up and support our local products and heritages. As the say goes "Commercial Fishermen a Endagered Species"

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home