October 27, 2021, 12:15:38 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: clam bags  (Read 1864 times)
rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« on: July 15, 2021, 12:21:36 PM »

so I need some quality clam bags. last 2 years I've bought from another waterman who told me after the purchase, about a month after, that the material wasn't what he thought. I bought 500 and need approx. 350 to bait my lines and even with the extra they had to be replaced beginning of following year. this winter I bought comm bags from capt bruce and it was same material, no good.these bags are kinda stiff and stay open when baiting. I need the more flexible type which are a little harder to bait but they last a good while. any ideas?
gcs

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2021, 12:06:36 PM »

Not sure what you've used, but the bait bags I'm familiar with come on a roll that you cut to the size you want, my understanding is the different colors are for different "strengths" I believe the orange is heaviest, green is like a medium and black is the lightest and most flexible,....I think, lol
Might depend on who makes the material.
Should be able to get it at any commercial fishermans supply. It ain't cheap by the roll, but theres like a jillion feet in one.

If you can't find it check out the places in the northeast, I know Ketchum supply in New Bedford carries it.
Stabilizer
Lifetime Member

Work hard, Play harder.

GuyWithCrabs

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2021, 02:48:42 PM »

I got a 500 box from Capt Bruce this off season (good price) and they too are not holding up.  So just this year on a dozen days or so they have a lot of holes already.  I know my winder is a tad rough on them - and I run then fast but it seems that bags in prior years bags lasted a couple season.  I think I may go to necks before long anyways and the balance of the 500 and what are still good, should get me through the year.  I'll be looking here for a solution, sorry I just restated the problem.
rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2021, 03:29:58 PM »

no worries Guy. I just want to find a good quality bag. I run a dipper also but you can tell when looking at the bags when I unbait that these small holes that end up getting bigger are from the crabs breaking the mesh. most of the time when a bag is damaged by the dipper you have a sharp edge somewhere on your ramp or slide   and it cuts slices. these bags are cheap and can't be fixed just replaced. if I find some good bags i'll let u know. I was gonna buy from wyeman on here but never got up with him. the next time I buy iwant to check out the bags and compare to the junk I have.
Stabilizer
Lifetime Member

Work hard, Play harder.

GuyWithCrabs

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2021, 02:42:34 PM »

I just got the fine mesh heavy duty bags.  Crazy heavy and may actually slow the minnows eroding the clams.  Seems like a lot more material weight in the bag with the finer mesh size (not finer material.)

I think these are going to perform well over that heavy standard mesh.  We will see.  I have a ton of bags with cuts that I have folded and nursed along, those will all get pitched out.  And I have some once or twice used standard bags, but will start using some these heavy fine meshed bags this weekend.

rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 07:27:21 AM »

guy just beware, I know more then 2 other comm crabbers up our way who stopped using the heavy fine mesh bags due to crabs not being able to stay on the bags or atleast that's the theory. they don't catch as well is the bottom line. a close comm that I talk to offered me bout 100 bags brand new to try but I declined due to what iwas told about the bags catch history.
Stabilizer
Lifetime Member

Work hard, Play harder.

GuyWithCrabs

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2021, 03:41:48 PM »

guy just beware, I know more then 2 other comm crabbers up our way who stopped using the heavy fine mesh bags due to crabs not being able to stay on the bags or atleast that's the theory. they don't catch as well is the bottom line. a close comm that I talk to offered me bout 100 bags brand new to try but I declined due to what iwas told about the bags catch history.
I will look for that!  I have distinctly seen crabs trying to let go of the standard bags and it looked like their claws were at times slightly entangled in the bag.  I will look for early drops, and with my luck they probably will!!!  I just baited up about 50 of them and they are some kind of tuff to stretch.  My wife is baulking at using them... .
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 08:52:26 PM by Stabilizer » Logged
rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2021, 09:03:32 AM »

Let us know how they do. the only other option to save clams that i've heard is to double bag with the standard bags, I heard some do this when the fish are working on their clams and I do see a lot of white perch where I crab.
Logan57
Lifetime Member

Crabs-from Logan Logan575757

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2021, 08:14:47 AM »

I got a few hundred of the stiffer green bags and they get tire up quicker then the softer orange. I run about 400 bags a day and I go through a 50 pack of mini zip ties a week just patching holes. But, I have been on the crab all year so maybe that's just what happens?Huh

Masters in Redneck Engineering.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home