September 26, 2021, 03:40:00 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kayak crabbing with trotline, PA 17T  (Read 431 times)
Skalizar

Ignore
« on: August 25, 2021, 03:00:20 PM »

I put together a trotline recently and tried it out.  I was in NJ at the time, so just a short one, but I live in DE and visit MD often so I can run a longer one once I figure this out.  I've only done trotlining on other people's boats and it was years ago.  There was a stiff breeze (10-15?), so while setting the line, I just drifted downwind.  The problem was, I could not track consistently straight in either direction.  The 17T is long and higher than some other kayaks, so it catches a lot of wind, and it was constantly trying to turn broadside to the wind.  I could hold a line over the short distance if I was going fast enough, but only had a couple hours to try and work out the kinks.  There were crabs, even using necks that were freezer burnt, so this will will work, I just need to figure how to run the line consistently.  Is it better to set on an angle to the wind?  I can drop the skeg and hopefully not drift sideways too much, but that makes it harder to turn.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Ron
Terrapin T
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2021, 12:25:28 AM »

Get one of those peddle powered fishing kayaks. Steer with left, dip with right.  Consider doubling the use of your propstick as short out rigger for added stability.

Grateful to be in The Land of Pleasant Living

"His Fadder was a Mudder"
Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 03:13:15 PM »

This works too.  Trolling motor on left, dip with right.   Only problem is everytime I dip one, kayak turns about 45 degrees.  It works but a boat is a whole lot easier, especially for an old guy.

I love to fish, but I live to crab.
Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 03:21:57 PM »

The  basket in the picture above is where I put keepers.  It's tied to anchor at end of line.   The whole job of kayak crabbing takes some getting used to and is without a doubt the tiredest I ever get crabbing.  In fact I still use that kayak fishing but haven't crabbed in it for a few years.

I love to fish, but I live to crab.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home