August 06, 2021, 12:20:34 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Commerical Crabbing In The Shrewsbury Thoughts  (Read 956 times)
Baileyboy

Ignore
« on: July 17, 2021, 12:56:06 PM »

Just Putting This Out There For Discussion  I always Thought of The Shrewsbury River As Kind Of A Mom & Pop Place to Crab  Family's,Grandkids  Etc    There For The Longest Time Has Been 1 Commerical Guy    Keeps To Himself  Basically No Harm No Foul   But Now Another Guy Shows Up With His  300 Pots & Buoys    So Now 500-600 Pots Fishing 24/7 in This Mom & Pop River    It Can't Take That Kind Of Heat In My Opinion Huh 
I'm An EX Commerical Guy & I Get It    Gotta Make A Living   But Something Does Not Feel Right About That Much Gear In Such A Small Area   & If another Guy Wants In He Can Bring His 300 Pots All Legal   Does Anyone Have Any Thoughts On This

Thank You
Capt. Frank
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 10:35:46 AM »

It makes it tougher for us.  But it's still legal.  Isn't is?

Capt. Frank
"HEAT SEEKER"
Chief Instructor
  NJBoatingCollege.Com
  (201) 716-2883 NJ Classes
  (212) 465-3992 NY Classes
  "We teach.  NOT just read to you."
Crabtillius Jones

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 04:34:07 PM »

I feel a lot of areas get overfished and overcrabbed And I do feel that it does take away from The small guys But I think they need to do some more research on what  Impact it's having And set some cut standards or limitsAll I know is this is this when my dad took me crabing when I was younger we we caught a [Sam Hill] a lot more crabs and a lot more often than we do nowI think you have a great topic thanks
Captin Hook

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 05:04:43 PM »

It is getting out of control
there needs to be a cap of like 50 pots if they are going to let commercial guys in a small area
The Crab King

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 09:34:14 AM »

I agree with some kind of cap per area, was at the Shrewsbury this past Saturday and saw all of those pots, we still caught what we wanted without much of a issue but i do see your point that maybe some kind of additional research is needed.

Zee Man

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2021, 12:46:59 PM »

I totally agree. Shrews isn't big enough for 2 Comm. guys IMO. Ran into the Commercial guy that's been there for years last time out a few weeks ago. Always pleasant to talk to not like so many of the Commercial guys that despise us Recreational crabbers sharing the water with them. My major complaint with Shrews are the # of reckless boaters and jet skiers flying around with ZERO consideration for everyone around them. Most of them disregard the No Wake Zones. We came really close to having a jet skier and his buddy hit us while we were anchored up fishing. Alcohol and a lack of common sense is a recipe for disaster.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step
The Crab King

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2021, 02:04:34 PM »

I totally agree. Shrews isn't big enough for 2 Comm. guys IMO. Ran into the Commercial guy that's been there for years last time out a few weeks ago. Always pleasant to talk to not like so many of the Commercial guys that despise us Recreational crabbers sharing the water with them. My major complaint with Shrews are the # of reckless boaters and jet skiers flying around with ZERO consideration for everyone around them. Most of them disregard the No Wake Zones. We came really close to having a jet skier and his buddy hit us while we were anchored up fishing. Alcohol and a lack of common sense is a recipe for disaster.

I agree we were anchored about 50 yards from buoy 34 and the amount of big boats flying through there forced us to pull anchor and find a calmer spot. Lots of boats coming up some of those side creeks have a total disregard for the no wake areas they were pushing up to 3 foot swells. Not good at all.
Capt. Frank
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2021, 10:02:27 AM »

As annoying as it might be, that whole stretch from Shrewsbury buoy # 28 ( off North-South river by Anglers to Monmouth Beach)  to buoy #40 (Pleasure Bay/Manhasset Creek) is NOT a no wake area.   

They can be nice and slow down.  But are usually in a rush weekends.  Crabbing Mondays to Fridays rule there! 

I agree we were anchored about 50 yards from buoy 34 and the amount of big boats flying through there forced us to pull anchor and find a calmer spot. Lots of boats coming up some of those side creeks have a total disregard for the no wake areas they were pushing up to 3 foot swells. Not good at all.

Capt. Frank
"HEAT SEEKER"
Chief Instructor
  NJBoatingCollege.Com
  (201) 716-2883 NJ Classes
  (212) 465-3992 NY Classes
  "We teach.  NOT just read to you."
The Crab King

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2021, 10:42:15 AM »

As annoying as it might be, that whole stretch from Shrewsbury buoy # 28 ( off North-South river by Anglers to Monmouth Beach)  to buoy #40 (Pleasure Bay/Manhasset Creek) is NOT a no wake area.   

They can be nice and slow down.  But are usually in a rush weekends.  Crabbing Mondays to Fridays rule there! 

I'm mostly talking about the side creeks and up near the gooseneck bridge where it's clearly marked no wake zone.
Matawan Matt

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2021, 07:05:28 PM »

I agree Crab King to many knuckleheads flying through the Gooseneck bridge area with their boats.  I crab off that bridge and just shake my head.  I do have side question to ask of you all I noticed that the bunker are still dying off up near the bridge, I haven't seen that continue like this deep into July and the crabbing off the bridge has been terrible at best.  Any concerns or maybe just an off year for the moment?

Baileyboy

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2021, 06:25:39 PM »

I Agreed With You Guys   Maybe The Regs Need To Be Looked Over again For The Amount Of Pots That They Can Put In Small Areas Like The Shrewsbury   Just Remember For Those On The Fence    We Use To  Say Will Never Wipe Out The Whiting,Weakfish ,Flounder ,Mackeral,Bluefish  Tuna  Well Guess What HuhHuh Yes You Can Still Catch A Few Of These Species    But Its A Joke From What It Use To Be

Thank You

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home