October 15, 2021, 10:24:00 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trot Lines and Tides Question  (Read 965 times)
CocoCrab

Ignore
« on: July 20, 2021, 05:25:01 PM »

Here is an observation and I'm wondering what others think about the ideal way to approach a trotline to maximize crabs holding on:

1. Always keep the line on the sunny side
2. Ideally go with the wind to prevent waves slapping and spooking the crabs coming up
3. (here is the observation and question) Run against the current so that the crabs feel less resistance as they come up.

#3 is a new observation from crabbing a couple weeks ago - the tide was going out fairly quickly and I was oriented into the current due to the position of the sun.  The crabs were holding on and coming toward the prop stick in a more natural manner with less resistance.  Not that I'm only going to be able to time those kinds of days when all the conditions align, but wondering if others get into those sorts of details when setting up their line to run it.

Thanks!

CocoCrab
Stabilizer
Lifetime Member

Work hard, Play harder.

GuyWithCrabs

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2021, 08:04:15 AM »

Coco, I'll take a stab at this.  From what I see others do, #1 is the primary factor most everyone follows that and its either going to work with or against #2, ideally with #2.  When the crab is fixed to the line and it comes off the bottom the current flow the crab feels is independent of the way the line is run/raised.  So I think that #3 is in and of itself is a nonissue.   Or I'm just not following it.   IMO.  These may be important considerations for hand dippers and a lot of auto-dipper com guys too.  Stick with the sun in there faces and idle or run back to the starting end.  

For reference, I run the line both ways with little to no soak.  With the brief time to cull and sort I then turn to run the line back.  I've tried soaks and one directional runs, but the math doesn't tell me either is a worthwhile consideration.  (Fuel/time/total crabs considered). If its packed I run it immediately and cull both runs together.  

When the crabs slow to a trickle I take a break but usually for me to sit a moment and figure out what's next, to eat, make notes, consult with Pesky or put my feet up or something.  When the crabs are good I just do all that while underway.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 08:25:35 AM by Stabilizer » Logged
lone sailor

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2021, 08:20:32 AM »

I'd say 1 and 2 are most important. A lot can depend on the weather like if I'm in an exposed lay I'm working with the wind no matter what on a bad day.  Then if I'm running 2 parallel lines its one up and the other down regardless or if its good sometimes I'm running a single line both ways. Other than that yes id rather have the sun on the side I'm  working off and the wind behind me. Early in the season or in spots with clearer water they want to drop regardless then in the fall they will ride a bait over the scoop and down the other side regardless of how your running it.
CocoCrab

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2021, 06:24:09 PM »

Thanks to you both for your thoughts on this.  I never considered just running directly into/away  from the sun in order to allow running both directions.  I always seem to screw up my line when I lay it in one direction and try to work it in the opposite direction.  Of course I have 600' lines only!  Imay try to run them up and back the next time I am out!  Thanks again!

CocoCrab

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home