September 17, 2021, 05:32:40 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How many days can Chicken Necks and Razor Clams be Reused?  (Read 254 times)
CrabbingPiers

Ignore
« on: July 31, 2021, 09:54:43 PM »

How many days can chicken necks be used for crabbing?   Do you freeze them in between reuse, and how many days can you reuse chicken necks?   Can Razor clams also be reused multiple days, and frozen in between multiple use?
Stabilizer
Lifetime Member

Work hard, Play harder.

GuyWithCrabs

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2021, 08:26:49 AM »

I generally use necks two days and clams similar.   The entire line can is put into a cool box when I get home and overnight.  Cooler water temps help longevity.  I have even extended this to three days.  Warmer temps or aggressive crabs and minnows can shorted the effectiveness.  When the clams are empty and crushed to broken shells (they sound like maracas' when shaken) or the necks are picked over bone or broken to a nub.  Generally one box of necks or a bushel of clams cover my lines - so if rebaiting its another purchase of them.

Plenty of guys rebait daily when the necks get pale or chewed on, but for the work and cost and catch rate it seems to make sense to just go for it a second or even third day to me. But again I can store them cold overnight.  If I go out 4 days in a row I would have fresh bait on day one and three.

IMO.
Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2021, 07:46:34 PM »

Alternatively to Stabilizer's post, for me, necks are a one day thing.  If I didn't catch a thing and was feeling lazy, I'd run necks a second day but didn't like to.  Clams you can keep using as long as they are alive.  I usually rebaited clams everyday too.  I would run second day clams if most were alive or not crushed but it seemed like once I got 3 or more bushels on clams most of them were in pretty rough shape but that could also have been the way my trotline guide was setup. 

Watermen and Seafood, Can't Have One Without The Other
rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2021, 07:16:21 AM »

I am the same with clams and almost always use them 2 days, sat and sun. I have worked out to bait 3800 ft  of line spaced at 11 to 12 ft and am able to put enough clams in the bags,approx 344 bags, to have anywhere from 3 clams that are very large to 6-8 clams for the small ones in each bag.  My supplier for clams this year is shakie at best and I never get the same size overall each week. I also store in a walkin with a constant temp of about 51 to 52 degrees. clams can take colder temps but not crabs. you must keep clams wet to moist and i keep a bucket or 2 of sea water in my walkin to do this along with a wet towel on each line . last thing i do is to carry 2 bags of ice on the boat on sat and ice the lines as soon as i pull them. clams are a PIA but catch better for me then anything else. I never use anything else. BTW I forgot to mention that my best weekend crabbing with clams was 5 bu of good males on a sat. and another 4.5 bu on sun. this was 3 to 4 years ago all on the same clams.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 12:18:43 PM by rdbeard » Logged

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home